Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Vintage Snapshot! - A Quiet Morning in 1988


This photograph was snapped at EPCOT Center on a very quiet morning in September of 1988.  Aside from my good friend standing amidst the nearby trees, the area surrounding the World of Motion was completely deserted.  Although it was all about technology and progress, Future World possessed a certain intangible magic back then that has been very difficult to rediscover over the last decade or so.  It felt much less cluttered and more epic in scope as this particular image demonstrates.

5 comments:

Kurt Miller said...

Awesome, thanks for posting. Love the early mornings when the park is empty. I loved the old rides - so grand, so beautifully architected. There used to be a common theme in Future World - they all seemed to fit together with the old Epcot logos and all.

Dan said...

Great photo. I like Test Track but really miss the feeling of that area with World of Motion and Horizons over there. My family just visited Epcot last week, and I will say that it still retains some of that beauty. We were there at night and it was nearly deserted, and it almost felt like the old days.

Andy Sorensen said...

It's a very cool photo. I'm too young to remember the days of World of Motion/Horizons, so I can't speak to that. I will say however, I was in Epcot last month and most of Future World (Minus Test Track and Soarin') missed the mark. The problems with Imagination and Universe of Energy are well known, and I hope for Disney (and Walt's vision) that things turn around there.

DizWiz said...

Thanks for posting this picture.
Ahhh...to be transported back to this exact place and time...
I miss WoM so much. For that matter, I miss the glory days of Future World so much.

Erica said...

I got goosebumps when I read that this photo was taken in September of 1988... I was born in early September '88, and it just so happens that WoM is my favorite EPCOT Center attraction.

Thanks for posting... brings back memories of my childhood. And here's to this photo's upcoming 23rd anniversary and my 23rd birthday... :)